SearchRecent comments
Democracy LinksMember's Off-site Blogs |
Israel criminal investigations into two high-profile attacks....
The Israeli military has announced it will open criminal investigations into two high-profile attacks on Palestinians during the Gaza war. In a report published Wednesday, the Israeli military said it had reviewed 150 incidents involving its troops in the Palestinian enclave and had made decisions about five of the cases.
Israeli military to open criminal probes into 2 Gaza attacks Natalie Muller Reuters, AFP and AP The killings of 5-year-old Hind Rajab in 2024 and 15 Palestinian paramedics in 2025 would be subject to a criminal probe, the military said. However, it said it would not take that step in the case of three other attacks in which aid workers from the charities World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders (MSF) were killed. The killing of Hind Rajab and 8 others in Gaza CityOn January 29, 2024, Israeli forces fired on a car approaching them that was carrying a 5-year-old Palestinian girl, Hind Rajab, and her relatives in Gaza City, the military said in its report. Five of the passengers were killed, while Rajab and her 15-year-old cousin Layan Hamada survived. Layan called the Palestinian Red Crescent, telling them a tank was approaching and her family members had been killed. According to a Red Crescent recording of the call, gunshots were heard, and Layan went silent. Rajab then stayed on the phone with the Red Crescent for hours, trapped in the car, as they tried to get permission from the military to rescue her, but contact was lost. An ambulance dispatched to the site was also allegedly hit by a shell as it arrived. Twelve days later, the bodies of Hind and seven of her relatives were recovered from the scene, along with two paramedics. The case drew international outrage. "Following review of the findings and due to alleged failures in the coordination of the movement of the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance, it has been decided to initiate a criminal investigation of the incident," the Israeli military said in its report. 15 paramedics killed in Tel al-SultanOn March 23, 2025, 15 emergency workers from the Red Crescent, Palestinian Civil Defense and the UN were killed when Israeli troops fired on their vehicles in Tel al-Sultan in northern Rafah. Troops shot at a first ambulance that was driving to reach casualties, and then fired on other emergency vehicles that followed, according to phone footage and an account from the sole survivor. The Israeli military said in its report that its troops were staging an early morning ambush against Hamas militants along a central access route and had fired at what they believed to be a Hamas vehicle. They then opened fire on other vehicles that arrived at the scene. The troops then "decided to crush the vehicles and to cover the bodies with metal mesh," the military report said. UN officials said that 15 bodies were recovered from a grave in the sand near vehicles that were wrecked and well-marked. The military report said that "six of those killed were identified as belonging to Hamas." It added that it would launch a criminal probe into the incident, "having found that the firing conducted during the incident raises a reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct." Which cases won't face a criminal probe?The military said it would not investigate the airstrikes on a World Central Kitchen convoy in April 2024 that resulted in the deaths of seven of the charity's employees. The case drew international scrutiny, with the aid group saying it had coordinated with the military over the movement of its cars, whose roofs bore the group’s logo visible from the air. The military said in its report that it had mistakenly identified several individuals in the vehicles as Hamas militants and that the convoy deviated from its planned route. It concluded that "the decisions of the commanders did not raise reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct." The military also decided not to take criminal action over the killings of four staffers from Doctors Without Borders in two separate incidents in Gaza City in November 2023 and Khan Younis in February 2024. ReactionsRajab's grandmother, who is also named Hind Rajab, said the Israeli investigation was not enough. "An international investigation is required to uncover the truth and hold all those responsible accountable," she said in comments to The Associated Press on Wednesday. "We call for justice, not only for Hind, but for all Gaza children." Meanwhile, speaking to Reuters after the report's release, Red Crescent media director Eid Aziz said the deaths should never have happened in the first place. "More important than opening the investigation is that this should have been prevented," he said. "The Palestinian Red Crescent badge is protected by international laws, and the medical staff must be protected, especially as they execute their duties and humanitarian work." Attacks in Gaza continue despite fragile ceasefireMeanwhile, an Israeli airstrike on a police station in Gaza City on Wednesday killed at least nine people and injured more than 20 others, according to Palestinian health authorities. The Israeli military said the strike targeted a Hamas commander who it claimed was planning to carry out attacks against Israeli troops in Gaza. Gaza City's Al-Shifa Hospital reported that a woman and a girl were among the dead. Israel said it had also struck a Hamas commander in the Nuseirat area in the central Gaza Strip who had taken part in the Islamist group's attack in southern Israel on October 7, 2023. That attack led by Hamas killed around 1,200 Israelis and prompted Israel to launch its offensive in Gaza, which has killed more than 73,000 Palestinians, according to the territory's Health Ministry. While fighting has largely died down since a ceasefire agareed in October last year, deadly attacks have continued and a recent US push for a long-term peace plan has stalled. Edited by: Saim Dušan Inayatullah https://www.dw.com/en/israel-idf-gaza-criminal-investigation-hind-rajab-un-msf-wck/a-78429726
READ FROM TOP. PLEASE VISIT: YOURDEMOCRACY.NET RECORDS HISTORY AS IT SHOULD BE — NOT AS THE WESTERN MEDIA WRONGLY REPORTS IT — SINCE 2005. Gus Leonisky POLITICAL CARTOONIST SINCE 1951. RABID ATHEIST. WELCOME TO THIS INSANE WORLD….
|
User login |
dangerous laws vs ideas....
Segal’s speech code meets the law: Justice Fagan wrecks Canberra’s Israel exception
by Andrew Brown
The Israel lobby wrote itself a dictionary. Governments adopted it, regulators enforced it and police made arrests under it. Then it met a judge who required evidence, and it collapsed in an afternoon. Andrew Brown on the Fagan judgement.
Justice Desmond Fagan’s decision in State of New South Wales v Farhat wrecks the architecture designed by Jillian Segal, adopted by Anthony Albanese and enforced across Australia.
Australians have been instructed that hostility towards Israel is hostility towards Jews. The lobby never won that argument. It changed the dictionary instead.
Albanese supplied the imprimatur. Chris Minns supplied the muscle. David Crisafulli criminalised protest slogans. Peter Malinauskas carried the doctrine into the South Australian parliament.
Different parties. Different states. The same obedient genuflection.
The vandal who wasn’t an antisemiteMohommed Farhat was a vandal for hire. He caused more than $110,000 in damage, torched a vehicle and painted “Fuk Israel” across Woollahra. Fagan found he was recruited and did not know what some slogans meant. Yet the State wanted him branded an antisemite and shackled with 55 terrorism supervision restrictions.
Fagan refused. His judgment is an autopsy of how propaganda becomes administrative fact. Police, prosecutors, the Crown Solicitor and the Director of Public Prosecutions repeated an unexamined claim until repetition replaced proof. The label was false and “injustice to the defendant” followed.
Then he turned to the definition. The IHRA formulation promoted by Segal and embraced by Canberra was, he found, “verbose and imprecise” and “detached from the reality of common usage”. Promoting it sought to change the settled meaning of “a word that has been in use in the English language for 150 years” and to “graft” onto the community’s abhorrence of antisemitism”a parasitic rejection of protest against Israel”.
Fagan cited Pew polling showing 74 per cent of Australians unfavourable towards Israel, rising to 79 per cent this year, and inferred a “humanitarian reaction to Israel’s genocide of the Gazans”. A definition that tars four in five Australians is not detecting hatred.
It is outlawing majority opinion.
Antisemitism, Fagan said, is simply “hostility to Jews for their Jewishness”. It is real, repugnant and must be confronted. Israel is a foreign state. Zionism is a political ideology. Neither is entitled to immunity from condemnation.
Protecting Jewish Australians is essential. Protecting a foreign government from criticism is not.
The lobbyist who wrote the lawSegal became special envoy after leading the Executive Council of Australian Jewry, whose published mission includes defending Israel, encouraging Zionism and lobbying governments for positions favourable to Israel.
The referee was recruited from one team’s front office.
She may hold those views. She may not launder them through the Commonwealth and receive them back as law. Albanese outsourced the dictionary to a protagonist, then adopted her every recommendation despite warnings from Jewish and civil liberties groups that it would punish lawful advocacy for Palestine.
Not consultation. Capitulation, formalised in a press release.
The government’s response commits the Commonwealth, states and territories to implementing Segal’s program. National machinery of compliance, and the premiers queued up to install it.
Minns, Crisafulli, MalinauskasMinns expanded police powers and created new speech offences. Crisafulli criminalised two protest slogans, with two years in prison where words might reasonably cause somebody to feel menaced, harassed or offended.
Offended. The decay of liberal democracy, compressed into one word.
Malinauskas backed IHRA through the South Australian parliament, then pressed Adelaide Writers’ Week to dump Palestinian Australian writer Randa Abdel-Fattah. David Gonski, whose name once meant needs based schooling, now fronts an Antisemitism Education Taskforce with Segal at his side.
The Australian Public Service Commission says IHRA applies in federal workplaces. AHPRA adopted it across sixteen professions and more than 960,000 practitioners. A reference tool held over a doctor’s registration is not a dictionary but a threat to a livelihood. Fear is the cheapest police force ever deployed.
Executive policy cannot rewrite ordinary language. A circular cannot create law. Parliament never enacted IHRA, so the court gave it no force. Not a High Court ruling, but a preview.
Eighteen police, one shirtI have been the test case.
On 3 November 2024, NSW Police arrested me at Bondi for wearing “Fuck Israel, Fuck Zionism”. I threatened nobody and damaged nothing. I was handcuffed, held six hours, fingerprinted and DNA tested by force over my objection.
Three charges followed, with bail conditions that ran more than a year. At one point I was banned from the eastern suburbs. My home in Surry Hills sat 400 metres from the boundary. One wrong walk meant arrest and up to twelve months in a cell awaiting a hearing. For a shirt.
All three charges collapsed in December 2025 once my lawyers raised the implied freedom of political communication.
On 6 April this year, as many as eighteen officers surrounded me at Bondi over the same shirt, among them Odin squad taskforce officers and two senior officers from area command. Overhead, a drone and a helicopter. On standby, an ambulance and two caged wagons.
Odin is a tactical unit for crowd management, high visibility policing and high risk operations. The high risk operation that morning was a shirt. I took it off. They arrested the shirt. A penalty notice arrived a week later.
Fagan has not decided my remaining matter, but he has demolished its pretence. He found the sprayed “Fuk Israel” was “crude political expression of contempt” for a foreign state, not hatred of Jews. If those words stayed political when painted during a crime spree, they cannot become Jew hatred worn peacefully on cotton.
The obscenity was never the shirt. It was the state power assembled around it.
Segal supplied the language. Albanese supplied the authority. Gonski took the classroom, AHPRA the professions, Minns the handcuffs, Crisafulli the statute book, Malinauskas the parliament and the festival stage.
Justice Fagan supplied something none of them could survive: the law.
Editor’s Note: the NSW Government is considering appealing Justice Fagan’s decision.
https://michaelwest.com.au/segal-ihra-antisemitism-justice-fagan-decision/
READ FROM TOP.
PLEASE VISIT:
YOURDEMOCRACY.NET RECORDS HISTORY AS IT SHOULD BE — NOT AS THE WESTERN MEDIA WRONGLY REPORTS IT — SINCE 2005.
Gus Leonisky
POLITICAL CARTOONIST SINCE 1951.
RABID ATHEIST.
WELCOME TO THIS INSANE WORLD….